Smiling allows the body to heal because it resets the autonomic nervous system from 'flight or fight' (adrenaline, panic) mode to 'relax and enjoy', which is the state in which our bodies can grow and heal.
The most simple type of Taoist meditation is to smile to yourself. Anyone can do it and it's much easier than battling to empty the mind. It's incredibly effective and feels amazing. I start and end every day by smiling to my heart and telling my heart, 'I Love you'. I recommend you do that too because it literally programmes your cells.
When we smile it affects the whole body. As the corners of the lips rise so does the eyes, and if you notice, the perineum lifts ever so slightly as do your internal organs, giving your internal muscles some nice gentle toning and preventing prolapse. In fact, if you smile and feel very carefully you may notice that every cell in your body dances with joy and excitement at what is happening, just like you feel good if someone smiles at you.
Smiles have power and are a great way to direct energy, because after all, where the attention goes, the energy goes.
Smile, look into your body, and see how your whole body responds, how every cell starts to vibrate with the resonance of smiling. Feel the change in your lips as they start to vibrate at that frequency. Even your organs a pelvic floor rise slightly when you smile.
The Inner Smile Meditation
Sit comfortably on your chair with your back straight and feet hip width apart and flat on the floor. Allow your body to relax. Smile into your body, and relax.
1. Bring your attention to your heart. Smile into your heart and radiate a warm red light into your heart. Feel the warmth filling your heart, as your aura fills with a red light. Thank your heart for the gifts and virtues it bestows on you, for love, joy and happiness. Smile and fill your heart centre with love and light, warm red light that fills your being, vibrating and healing your cells.
2. Now bring your attention to your spleen. Smile into your spleen and radiate a bright yellow light into your spleen. Feel the brightness filling your spleen, as your aura fills with a yellow light. Thank your spleen for the gifts and virtues it bestows on you, for trust, openness and fairness. Smile and fill your spleen with love and light, bright yellow light that fills your being, vibrating and healing your cells.
3. Now bring your attention to your lungs. Smile into your lungs and radiate a pure white light into your lungs. Feel the pure light filling your lungs, as your aura fills with a white light. Thank your lungs for the gifts and virtues it bestows on you, for courage, right thinking and sincerity. Smile and fill your lungs with love and light, pure white light that fills your being, vibrating and healing your cells.
4. Now bring your attention to your kidneys. Smile into your kidneys and radiate a clear blue light into your kidneys. Feel the clear blue filling your kidneys, as your aura fills with a blue light. Thank your kidneys for the gifts and virtues it bestows on you, for peacefulness, calmness, stillness and wisdom. Smile and fill your kidneys with love and light, clear blue light that fills your being, vibrating and healing your cells.
5. Now bring your attention to your liver. Smile into your liver and radiate a strong green light into your liver. Feel the light filling your liver, as your aura fills with a green light. Thank your liver for the gifts and virtues it bestows on you, for benevolence, forgiveness and gratitude. Smile and fill your liver with love and light, strong green light that fills your being, vibrating and healing your cells.
6. Now return to the heart centre and smile into your heart, radiating a warm red glow throughout your body and aura. Take the colours of each virtue which, when combined make a golden light that fills your whole being. Smile and radiate love and compassion through every cell of your being, through your organs, bones, muscles, skins, your aura, and when you are saturated, let your love overflow into the world. Smile and allow your cells to relax and heal, your self to be whole and to thrive and bloom.
Laughing Chi Kung
Laughter activates the thymus gland which helps the heart and keeps you looking youthful. So do some laughter Chi Kung to keep your heart healthy. It's better than anti-ageing cream and it's free.